A water mist fire prevention system uses fine water sprays to protect you from flames. A water mist system is a fire protection method best used in areas with sensitive electronics or flammable materials. The system uses a fogging nozzle to release a fine mist of water vapor which suffocates any flames by denying them oxygen. In three methods, very small water sprays can control and extinguish flames.
- First, the mist helps to cool the flame and the gases in the surrounding environment by evaporation.
- Similarly, the mist can displace oxygen by evaporation. As a result, combustion comes to a halt.
- The little water droplets help lessen the influence of the ambient heat.
The size of the water droplets employed in the water mist system differs from that of the water fire sprinkler system. Water is used in both systems, however water mist systems employ smaller droplets that are fewer than 100 microns in size. That is one-fifth the size of droplets produced by water sprinkler systems.
For flames to occur, three things must come together: fuel, oxygen, and heat. In their attempt to extinguish flames, fire sprinklers deluge them and the environment. As a result, heat is removed, and the power of the burning fuel may be reduced. On the other hand, water mist sprinklers function by cooling the space and replenishing the oxygen required for burning.
Water drops from the water mist system cover a large area, which can help to cool the surroundings. When these droplets come into contact with heated air, they evaporate and turn into steam. This steam is responsible for the mist emitted by the water mist fire prevention system.
What are the Advantages of Using a Water Mist Rather Than a Regular Fire Sprinkler?
So, why employ a water mist system when a standard fire sprinkler system suffices? There are a number of reasons why the water mist system outperforms the fire sprinkler system. The majority of the explanations are related to how both gadgets function. The following are some of the advantages of water mist systems over fire sprinkler systems:
- Water mist cooling systems provide quicker cooling. This is due to the fact that steam absorbs more heat per time than liquid water.
- On the other hand, water sprinkler systems waste much more water than water mist systems.
- Sprinkler systems would require extensive cleaning after use due to their high water consumption. On the other hand, water mist systems do not leave as much water damage and require less cleaning after usage.
- When it comes to fires, fire sprinklers have limited use. This is due to the fact that they only extinguish flames by diluting or soaking the source of fuel. On the other hand, water mist systems use rapid water vaporization to extinguish flames. Steam displaces oxygen and fuel vapor while soaking the fuel surface with the mist sprinkler system. All of this makes the mist system more effective than fire sprinklers.
- Unlike other gaseous fire extinguishers such as Halon, water mist systems are environmentally friendly.
- Water mist systems are less costly than dry chemicals.
How Popular are Water Mist Systems?
According to the National Fire Protection Association, water mist systems can control the following types of fires:
- Ordinary combustible fires (Class A)
- Flammable liquid fires (Class B)
- Electrical fires (Class C)
As a result, these gadgets can be found in a variety of settings. Museums, petrol stations, and railway tunnels are just a few examples. Water mist systems are also used to safeguard artwork since they do not utilize excessive water, which can cause damage.
Contact The Professionals
Do you want to learn more about water mist fire suppression systems and whether they are a good fit for the demands of your home? Contact our professionals at https://www.watermistsystem.co.uk/ today for all of your misting system needs. We have over 30 years of experience in the fire protection business. Let us protect and secure your home today!